To help you feel confident at every step of the journey, we’ve broken down some commonly used industry terms.

Acoustic batts
You might hear this term when talking about your new home’s insulation. Acoustic batts are a type of high-density sound insulation, designed to reduce noise in your new home.

Arborist report
This is a report that is usually associated with town planning applications and involves an assessment completed by an arborist that outlines potential hazards. The reports are usually prepared within one week of being commissioned, but the time and cost vary depending on the number of trees being assessed.

When you are financing a new home, your lender will need to order an appraisal of the property. It is a market indication, not a valuation. As the home isn’t built yet, they rely on construction plans and builder specification sheets to do so.

Allowances refer to additional costs that are in excess of your fixed-site costs. This includes unforseen issues such as landscaping.

Asset Protection
Asset protection provides you with cover for any damage done to council assets by your demolition or construction. You will need to get an asset protection permit from your local council before commencing works.

Base stage
The stage where your block of land gets prepped and ready to build on. Temporary fencing will be installed, the site gets excavated and the underground connections get laid. This stage is complete once the concrete slab is poured.

Brick veneer
Brick veneer is a brick wall with timber frame and plaster walls. This is generally the normal construction method.

Bushfire Attack Level (BAL)
BAL refers to the Bushfire Attack Level and has been devised to improve the ability of a building to withstand a bushfire attack. Your BAL may change once an on-site assessment is completed. The BAL level of your land will determine the requirements for your protection from bushfire. Areas with a BAL rating above 40 are considered too risky to build in.

Building permits
These refer to the building permits you need to obtain from your surveyor in order to proceed with your new home build. In QLD these permits usually come from your local council.

Certificate of Occupancy (CO)
A document issued by your local council or surveyor certifying a building's compliance with building codes and other laws, and indicating it to be in a condition suitable for living in.

Change order
Any changes you make after construction will not only affect the cost of your home, but requires official documentation of the requested change. It ensures all parties have a clear understanding of the scope and cost of the change. This includes any variations post contract.

Compaction, cut and fill
Compaction is the compacting of existing fill on your site and/or fill placed on your site as a result of any cut and fill needed on your site. Cut and fill is the actual process of moving earth from one place to another to make the ground more level. A cut is made when earth is cut from above the desired ground height; a fill is when earth is used to fill a hole to the desired ground level.

Construction supervisor
The person who plans, organises and controls the whole build project, including completing inspections and supervising the construction team. The construction supervisor is your point of contact on site.

A specialised person who will organise the project, overseeing and managing the entire job from purchasing materials to hiring sub-contractors like carpenters, builders, painters, etc.

A conveyancer or legal practitioner is a professional who specialises in home building, and can assist with buying, selling, transferring, refinancing, subdividing and other legal matters in relation to property transfers.

Council guidelines
Council guidelines refer to building legislation, guidelines and permits that you’ll need to consider before building a new home.

Customer Relationship Coordinator (CRC)
When you build with Simonds, you’ll be assigned a Customer Relationship Coordinator who will be your point of contact once your home build begins. The CRC is your point of contact after sales accept (contract signing).

The removal of existing structures from your home site such as an established home, garden, sheds and pathways.

Developer approval guidelines
Developer approval guidelines are set by the developer of an estate to ensure every home built within the estate has a consistent look and feel. These can affect your facade colour and material selections.

Down payment
This is initial payment of your new home to secure it. Down payments are expressed as percentages, and the rest of the balance comes from your mortgage.

Double handling
Double handling is when site access restrictions require delivered building materials to be handled more than once, such as the carting of materials around the site.

Double glazed windows
Double glazed windows consist of two glass panels approximately 3-4mm thick with a 10mm gap between them. They are generally used for energy efficiency and noise reduction.

Dual occupancy
Dual occupancy refers to two dwellings on one block of land that are attached to each other.

An easement is a section of land registered on your property title which gives someone the right to use that land for a specific purpose, such as the council using it for access to sewage. This means that we can't build any permanent structures on an easement.
Energy ratings
A new home’s energy rating refers to the index of the building’s performance index, such as heating and cooling requirements. The accepted energy rating for most homes is 6 stars.

A home’s facade refers to the principal front of a building, that faces out to a street or open space.

Finance consultant
A professional who can advise, suggest and render financial services to customers based on their financial situation. Our team can tailor a solution to suit your needs and budget, as well as take the hassle out of home loan applications.

First Home Owner Grant
The First Home Owner Grant is a national scheme funded by the government to help offset the effect of GST on home ownership. Find out more

Fit-off stage
When you see your colour selections come to life. We paint your home, install tiles, bench tops, shower screens, mirrors, and doors. Plumbing and electrical connections will also be fitted at this stage.

Fittings and fixtures
Fittings and fixtures refer to the things inside and outside of the home, separate to the house itself. Common examples of fixtures are lighting, floor boards, carpet and dishwashers.

Fixed rate mortgage
A fixed rate mortgage is a mortgage that has a fixed interest rate for the entire term of the loan. The benefit of a fixed rate mortgage for home owners is that you won’t have to contend with varying loan payment amounts that fluctuate with interest rate movements.

Fixed price package
This refers to a home and land package with a fixed price, meaning there will be no additional costs along the way. It also means that the scope of the house is locked in and changes cannot be made.

Fixing stage
During this stage we begin fixing everything into position, completing all internal plaster, architraves, shelving and skirts, and cabinets and cupboards to your kitchen.

Flame Zone (FZ)
Flame Zones refer to areas where the fire risk is too high to build new properties or developments. Flame zone is a component of bushfire ratings.

Frame stage
Where all your walls are marked out in accordance with your final drawings, and construction of wall, windows and door frames, and roof trusses begin.

To assist with obtaining loans, a bank may insist the person taking out the loan has additional security. This additional security can sometimes be provided by a guarantor (e.g. parents) who agree to be responsible for the performance of a loan contract.

Housing estates
Where large blocks of land have been sub-divided and a new community is built. Inclusions
Inclusions refer to the fittings and fixtures that are sold with the property, as part of the price you’ve been quoted for. For example, some of Simonds’ standard inclusions are polished-edged mirrors, white ceilings, microwave space with a single power point, etc.

Land titling
Refers to the process of formally recording your registration of rights in land, or land ownership, for example when you purchase new land from a previous owner with the intention to build on it. You will not be able to commence your build until the land is titled.

Lien (Caveat)
A lien (caveat) is a legal hold on a person's current or future assets. A property lien specifically holds interest in a piece of real estate, which typically includes a home. A lien can prevent a property from being sold until the lien is removed, since the property's title cannot be transferred to a new owner while it is encumbered with the lien. A property can have multiple liens placed on it. 

Lock-up stage
A significant and exciting milestone of a home build where brickwork, wall cladding, roofing and insulation are installed. It will now be possible to 'lock up' your home!

Low density housing
Low density housing can look like a large detached home on a very large residential block. Often, they are associated with rural, residential areas.

Medium density
Medium density housing includes a range of possible development options. The density of these of developments varies significantly and can include stand-alone dwellings, terraced housing and dual occupancy homes. The benefits include low-maintenance homes for new home buyers, nest-egg investments and better use of limited land or space.

A legal agreement of a loan used to purchase a home, where the property serves as the borrower's collateral.

Mortgage broker
The middleman between the borrower and the lender (usually a bank), who negotiates the loan on your behalf. They will research products on the market from the hundreds available, and then support you through the application and settlement process.

Mortgage origination fee
An upfront fee charged by a lender for processing a new loan application, used as compensation for putting the loan in place.

Negative gearing
Gearing refers to when you borrow money and is often talked about in regards to investment properties. A negatively geared property means the rental return is less than the mortgage interest payments, putting you in a position of less income.

On-site phase
When your build begins. This is when your land will be prepped, concrete slab will be poured, your frame will be installed, along with all brickwork, wall-cladding and insulation. At the end of the on-site phase, you will see your colour selection and finishings come to life.

A package refers to a house and land package where the house is built and sold as a complete home and land deal.

Pre-approval gets your loan sorted so you know how much you can borrow, and therefore can confidently browse new homes within your budget.

Property Services Information (PSI)
This helps us to obtain the necessary information for your property to achieve an accurate cost estimate for construction works or site costs. Things we look for include subdivision details, title agreements, the likelihood of flooding, termites etc.

Post-build phase
Once your home is built, the post-build phase includes things like handover, fencing and landscaping (if they were included in your contract), warranty documentation and more.

Practical Completion Inspection (PCI)
Before the key handover, the normal procedure of a PCI is to meet with your site supervisor and go around the house noting any items that need correction or adjustment.

Pre-build phase
During this phase, you’ll work closely with one of our sales consultants to choose the right land and home for you. You'll also prepare your floor plans, finance documentation, contract and council permits.

ResCode refers to standards set for the construction of new dwellings, alterations and extensions to existing dwellings in Victoria only. These standard include street setback, building height, site coverage, parking provision, side and rear setbacks, walls on boundaries, overshadowing and overlooking, and private open space.

Root barrier
A root barrier is an engineer-designed method to protect the house slab from the roots of nearby trees.

The official process of settling your new home. Settlement day happens on a time and place agreed upon by both parties. Once all documents are signed by both you and Simonds, they are sent off to register you as the new owner of the property.

A setback refers to the distance which a building is set back from a street any other place which is deemed to need protection.

Soil report
A soil report is a report based on a series of soil samples taken from your block of land. Testing the soil allows us to classify your soil type and provide the appropriate footing system, i.e. structures, for your home to minimise any foundation movement or damage to your house.

Soakage pit
Soakage pits are used when there is no storm-water discharge point available on your property. The number and location of the soakage pits all depend on the soil type and will need to be designed by an engineer.

Structural guarantee
We offer a Lifetime Structural Guarantee that covers items such as concrete foundations, structural brickwork and structural timbers. It does not cover damage caused by storms or natural disasters.

Subject to finance
A subject to finance offer is a standard condition in home purchase contracts. This clause gives you time to organise a loan for the property you're buying. If your loan application is refused, you can choose to end the contract and not go through with the sale.

Sunset clause
The basic premise of a sunset clause refers to the maximum time in which the developer has to finish your home build.

The person who works for the local county office that conducts surveys of properties to determine boundary lines and identify easements and encroachments that may affect the title on the home.

The tender or tender moment is when all your planning and information, quote and payments come together in one place for review and final sign off. It includes all the decisions you’ve made for your home so far such as facade, colour selections, initial site costs, etc.

Turnkey solution
This refers to a type of home and land package that comes complete with everything you need to move straight in, including driveway, garage, landscaping and more. Precinct by Simonds is a turnkey solution that includes everything you need to move in or rent straight away.

Your warranty generally includes protection against defects in work and materials, once you’ve moved into your home. It can also include structural defects and non-completion of works. At Simonds, we offer a three-month warranty and a Lifetime Structural Guarantee. 

Zoning is when the government controls the physical development of land and the kinds of uses to which each individual property may be put.


Get in touch

Whether you’re ready to build your dream home, already building or just have a few questions, we're here to help.

Simonds acknowledge Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the First Australians and Traditional Custodians of the lands where we live, learn and work.